A 12 day itinerary to explore the most fascinating archaeological sites in Guatemala. Opt for an extension to the Chiapas territory to see the murals of Bonampak and Yaxhilan. Your guides will be different in each site, so you get the information from the experts.
InclusionsAll complete breakfasts, Local English speaking guide, transportation in private basis, meals as indicated in the itinerary, local flight to peten (OW)Entrance fees: The Cathedral, San Francisco, La Merced, Iximche, Copan, Quirigua, Yaxha, Ceibal & Tikal
ExclusionsPersonal Travel Insurance, Tips/gratituities for your guide, personal expenses, hotel minibars, additional food.
Schedule detailsUnder Request
Duration11 nights / 12 days
Meeting PointMeet and Greet at Guatemala City Airport
Ending PointGuatemala City airport or if the group opts for extension in Belize or Chiapas, then each local airport
- You may add other activities in each location: eg: coffee tour, dinner/presentation with archaeologist in Copan, volcano hike, etc.
- The longest transfer is Guatemala – Copan and it's 5hrs
- Guatemala City, Antigua & Lake Atitlan are 5,000ft asl. It may get a bit chilly at nights.
Antigua is among the world’s best conserved colonial cities in the Americas. Cobblestone streets, art galleries, coffee shops, colonial architecture and wooden sculptures will make you want to stay a little longer. Your guide will show you the secrets of this town and amazing heritage buildings. He/she will make you understand why Spaniards settle on this valley and the troubles they encountered.The area of Antigua is famous for growing one of the best coffees in Central America.
Next, travel to the archaeological sites. This itinerary covers a range from Pre-Classic, Classic and Post Classic sites. The guides are expertise in each area and will link one city with the other. Copan for instance is known for “The Paris of the Maya, while Tikal is the New York”.
Get to know the Mayas visiting several sites: Yaxha which means emerald green water; is an important ceremonial center. Climb the main pyramid to see the sunset overlooking the lagoons of Yaxha and Sacnab. And Tikal, an important ceremonial center with the construction of major pyramid and temples Tikal National Park contains some of the most fascinating archaeological remains of the ancient Maya Civilization. Excavated by Pennsylvania University, is the largest excavated site in the American continent.
- See the original pieces at the National Archaeology Museum
- Visit one of the oldest colonial cities in the Americas
- Visit 3 UNESCO world heritage sites
- See beautiful and detailed Mayan art in Copan
- Sunset at Hacienda San Lucas overlooking the archaeological site
- Experience the canon of Rio Dulce on a private boat – see the jungle walls
- See the sunset like a Maya astrologist – over the main pyramid
- Visit the ancient Tikal, one of the most fascinating archaeological sites
In BriefDay 1 – Welcome to Guatemala City DayDay 2 – Museums: an introduction to archaeology & textile historyDay 3 – Antigua Half Day Walking Tour & Free Afternoon to explore on your ownDay 4 – Iximche (Post Classic) Day 5 – Transfer to Copan VillageDay 6 – Copan Tour Day 7 – Transfer to Rio Dulce stopping at Quirigua archaeological SiteDay 8 – Rio DulceDay 9 – Transfer to Peten & Yaxha SunsetDay 10 – CeibalDay 11 – Tikal & flight to Guatemala CityDay 12 – Departure Flight